Thinking is a commitment to venturing into the unknown. Why? Because:
- thinking does not occur in a vacuum
- new knowledge is continually embraced and integrated into what is known
- beliefs and opinions adjust and change with new knowledge
- new knowledge can provoke high emotion from unconscious sources
- thinking invites periods of chaos and entropy
- at any time, the thinking process can shut down for reasons not easily understood
These are only a few reasons why the commitment to thinking is challenging. However, once you train your mind to think, thinking is automatic and a joy to behold whether you are contemplating the future, solving a problem, writing or cooking a meal.