For whom are you writing? If your answer is one of the above, you're doing yourself a disservice. Not only will the marketing of your work suffer, but the work itself will also suffer.As you think about what you will write, focusing on a target audience can help you shape your work effectively.
Thinking strategies for articulating your target audience include:
- Choose someone from your life you believe would value and enjoy your work and write for them.
- Visualize reading your work (or having it read) to a group and think about who would be included in that group.
- Identify other works that share your target audience.
- Determine where your work would appear in a directory or bookstore.
- Think about what makes your work special.
- Look at your social media interests as a way of focusing your intent.
The form your work takes may change during development, but your target audience is likely to remain the same.